ABS prices hit multi-year lows in China
Despite firming up by $45/ton week over week on August 28 due to volatile crude, spot styrene prices on an FOB South Korea basis are still representing a decrease of around $185/ton compared to the beginning of August. In addition, both spot ACN and butadiene prices on a CFR China basis lost ground over the past week.
An agent of a Taiwanese producer commented that demand is weak as lower feedstock costs are pushing buyers to the sidelines. However, the seller expects to see improved demand in September ahead of the Christmas holidays. Another trader added, “Trading activities remain slow despite the recent gains in styrene prices. Sellers are giving discounts to attract buying interest, but buyers are still taking a wait and see stance. Few done deals are reported.”
In the local market, ABS prices are stable to CNY350/ton ($55/ton) softer week over week. A distributor reported that buyers are not interested in securing large volumes for now in anticipation of further decreases. Another distributor commented, “Demand is weak and supply is regular. We feel that most traders are keeping low inventories due to the prevailing downward trend. ABS prices might stabilize if the recent gains in crude oil prices prove to be sustainable. Otherwise, the outlook is bearish for now.”
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Asian PVC sees V-shaped recovery in Q2, what will Q3 bring?
- Will capacity additions cast cloud on ethylene upsurge in Asia?
- US PVC offers in Egypt rise steadily but resistance grows in tandem
- PE buyers’ resistance grows in SEA; duty-free origins more competitive than Mid-East
- Polymer demand cools in Turkey: Is price correction ahead for PP, PE and PVC?
- Local PP, PE markets in Indonesia, Thailand, and Philippines follow imports higher
- Taiwanese major’s July PVC pricing exceeds initial expectations
- China’s rising PET trend takes a pause, but longer-term outlook remains firm
- Dalian Futures Market: PP, LLDPE, PVC, MEG
- Vietnam’s homo-PP market plunges to lowest since 2009