Asian PP, PE markets look for direction
Players in general reported stagnant activities in the early days of this week, voicing their expectations about further softening, particularly on the high ends of the ranges. A Shanghai based trader said, “Demand is still not so vivid. Although there was some slight improvement last week, buyers still tend to purchase in smaller quantities.” He also added they are open to negotiation for firm bids for their Indian PP offers.
Another Chinese trader based in Linyi said, “Demand is well below our expectations and supply remains regular. Under these circumstances, done deals are rare. We heard that a major domestic producer in China is facing high inventories and two major producers are considering cutting their operating rates down to 30% by the end of September. Therefore, we think that price decreases are imminent in the domestic market.”
Other Asian markets are also closely tracking the pulse of the Chinese market. A trader based in Vietnam commented, “As long as China remains silent, we don’t expect to see a rebound in Southeast Asian markets either.” A second trader complained about not being able to sell PE while considering PP demand relatively better.
A global trader based in Singapore also affirmed sluggish demand, blaming the currency depreciation in the region. Plus, volatile crude oil is also not helping players reach a firm opinion about the direction of the market, he added.
Another trader in Thailand said he is planning to take a wait and see stance for a while given his belief in further decreases while a film manufacturer in Malaysia drew attention to the short holiday to be celebrated at the end of September and a week-long national holiday in early October in China, arguing demand will not revive until the end of the National Day holiday in early October.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Asian PVC sees V-shaped recovery in Q2, what will Q3 bring?
- Will capacity additions cast cloud on ethylene upsurge in Asia?
- US PVC offers in Egypt rise steadily but resistance grows in tandem
- PE buyers’ resistance grows in SEA; duty-free origins more competitive than Mid-East
- Polymer demand cools in Turkey: Is price correction ahead for PP, PE and PVC?
- Local PP, PE markets in Indonesia, Thailand, and Philippines follow imports higher
- Taiwanese major’s July PVC pricing exceeds initial expectations
- China’s rising PET trend takes a pause, but longer-term outlook remains firm
- Dalian Futures Market: PP, LLDPE, PVC, MEG
- Vietnam’s homo-PP market plunges to lowest since 2009