Asian ethylene trades above import LLDPE in China
This week, further decreases witnessed in the PE market, particularly for LLDPE, brought spot ethylene prices above the average import LLDPE price according to ChemOrbis Price Index, as can be seen from the graph below prepared by ChemOrbis Price Wizard.
This is not a sustainable situation, many players concur. “This is not the first time PE falls under ethylene; however, the market has to correct itself soon in order to bring the market back into balance,” said a player.
The question players are now asking is whether ethylene will need to fall or PE prices will need to rise. "There is a mismatch between buyers and sellers in the ethylene market, but sellers have been unwilling to lower their offers so long as ethylene supplies remain limited in the spot market," another player commented.
PE players in China, meanwhile, continue to wait for price decreases in the midst of weak demand. "Buyers would normally be building up some stocks ahead of the Chinese New Year holidays at this time, but we have not seen any real pick-up in demand yet. We export most of our bags to the US and we regard our sales as a bit disappointing," the buyer stated.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Asian PVC sees V-shaped recovery in Q2, what will Q3 bring?
- Will capacity additions cast cloud on ethylene upsurge in Asia?
- US PVC offers in Egypt rise steadily but resistance grows in tandem
- PE buyers’ resistance grows in SEA; duty-free origins more competitive than Mid-East
- Polymer demand cools in Turkey: Is price correction ahead for PP, PE and PVC?
- Local PP, PE markets in Indonesia, Thailand, and Philippines follow imports higher
- Taiwanese major’s July PVC pricing exceeds initial expectations
- China’s rising PET trend takes a pause, but longer-term outlook remains firm
- Dalian Futures Market: PP, LLDPE, PVC, MEG
- Vietnam’s homo-PP market plunges to lowest since 2009