Bearish PP outlook persists for August in China
Import homo PP prices in China retreated by $15-20/ton from last week. A trader reported, "Demand remains limited even after the most recent round of price cuts and most players anticipate further reductions given ample supply and softer energy costs," the trader stated. According to ChemOrbis Price Wizard, import PP prices have hit the lowest levels since March following the latest drops.
Source: ChemOrbis Price Index
China is foreseen to become self-sufficient by the year 2017 thanks to recently added coal-based PP capacities. Since last year, the country saw approximately 4 million tons/year capacity while nearly another 3 million tons/year is on its way.
A trader said that they are seeking to export some coal based PP to Southeast Asia this week, adding, "We were not able to sell these cargoes to Indonesia and are now shifting our attention to Vietnam."
In addition, the local market plunged around $200/ton since early May, according to ChemOrbis Price Wizard. "Local prices are down around CNY50-200/ton ($8-33/ton) since the start of the week and import sellers are struggling to remain competitive with domestic material," a distributor commented this week.
PP prices may see further losses in the days ahead as China’s ongoing economic slowdown combined with weaker energy costs and the country’s massive recent additions of coal based capacities are keeping the market under downward pressure. Plus, spot propylene costs indicate a cumulative drop of around $100/ton on FOB South Korea basis since the beginning of July with weaker crude oil futures standing below $50/barrel on the NYMEX as of late this week.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Asian PVC sees V-shaped recovery in Q2, what will Q3 bring?
- Will capacity additions cast cloud on ethylene upsurge in Asia?
- US PVC offers in Egypt rise steadily but resistance grows in tandem
- PE buyers’ resistance grows in SEA; duty-free origins more competitive than Mid-East
- Polymer demand cools in Turkey: Is price correction ahead for PP, PE and PVC?
- Local PP, PE markets in Indonesia, Thailand, and Philippines follow imports higher
- Taiwanese major’s July PVC pricing exceeds initial expectations
- China’s rising PET trend takes a pause, but longer-term outlook remains firm
- Dalian Futures Market: PP, LLDPE, PVC, MEG
- Vietnam’s homo-PP market plunges to lowest since 2009