China continues to exert pressure on Turkey’s PP, PE markets
Turkey’s import PP and PE markets have retreated somewhat since early June for various origins despite initial targets of rollovers. Nevertheless, players still think that the market has more room to come given the lack of demand and the record-high dollar/lira parity contributing to the downward pressure from China.
“When taking the recent import PP prices in China into account, Indian and Middle Eastern origins should theoretically be $50-60/ton below the current offers in Turkey. While we are already working with less than 50% capacity in the midst of lackluster orders from end product markets, there is no need for a rush to secure cargoes,” said several PP buyers.
Many PP buyers also report holding sufficient stocks to last until the end of Ramadan, which will be followed by summer holidays. “Given the current political instability and thin orders, we are not planning to replenish stocks in the near term,” said a carpet maker.
In the case of PE, the downward pressure on HDPE and LLDPE film is more evident based on the netback to China. “There is a premium of more than $100/ton on the current offer levels in Turkey,” said a packaging buyer. As can be seen from the graph below, current import PE prices in Turkey are carrying a larger than normal premium relative to China.
“However, a major Saudi supplier, who rolled over its June prices, is still not willing to concede to any discounts for this month given its tight availability. They told us that their June orders have already been booked,” added the buyer.
The tightness concerns that have been in place for more than four months in Europe, which pushed spot PE prices to record highs in that region, have helped to curb the downward pressure exerted by China on Turkey.
Yet, sources from other Middle Eastern PE producers admitted facing resistance from buyers, arguing that the downward pressure on the market will make itself felt on prices for July shipments.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Asian PVC sees V-shaped recovery in Q2, what will Q3 bring?
- Will capacity additions cast cloud on ethylene upsurge in Asia?
- US PVC offers in Egypt rise steadily but resistance grows in tandem
- PE buyers’ resistance grows in SEA; duty-free origins more competitive than Mid-East
- Polymer demand cools in Turkey: Is price correction ahead for PP, PE and PVC?
- Local PP, PE markets in Indonesia, Thailand, and Philippines follow imports higher
- Taiwanese major’s July PVC pricing exceeds initial expectations
- China’s rising PET trend takes a pause, but longer-term outlook remains firm
- Dalian Futures Market: PP, LLDPE, PVC, MEG
- Vietnam’s homo-PP market plunges to lowest since 2009