China’s export PET prices break below $800/ton threshold
In upstream news, three producers already nominated their new January MEG contracts with $40-80/ton decreases from December. Meanwhile, spot upstream PET production costs are also down both on a weekly and monthly basis for PX and PTA but MEG remained mostly steady. PX and PTA prices are down $30/ton when compared to the beginning of the month while they are $15/ton and $10/ton down on a weekly basis, respectively. On another note, crude oil prices on NYMEX hit below the $35/bbl threshold last Thursday.
Source: Chemorbis Price Wizard
As the year end is just around the corner, it appears that PET players are even more hesitant to make fresh purchases while no supply issues are voiced.
A producer noted, “Average PET prices declined on a week over week basis and we had to cut our export prices by $20/ton, too. Despite our decrease, our prices are still negotiable as we receive a very limited number of inquiries both from the export and local markets. Yet, our plant is still operating at full rates.”
A trader, who complained about the extremely limited number of deals, highlighted that no one is interested in replenishing their stocks. Meanwhile, another trader operating in Shanghai cited, “Overall demand remains weak and we do not expect any changes on buying interest for at least another two months. We do not think that demand will recover before March, 2016. In general, players are adopting a wait-and-see stance and we anticipate the market to be even quieter next week as 2015 closes.”
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Asian PVC sees V-shaped recovery in Q2, what will Q3 bring?
- Will capacity additions cast cloud on ethylene upsurge in Asia?
- US PVC offers in Egypt rise steadily but resistance grows in tandem
- PE buyers’ resistance grows in SEA; duty-free origins more competitive than Mid-East
- Polymer demand cools in Turkey: Is price correction ahead for PP, PE and PVC?
- Local PP, PE markets in Indonesia, Thailand, and Philippines follow imports higher
- Taiwanese major’s July PVC pricing exceeds initial expectations
- China’s rising PET trend takes a pause, but longer-term outlook remains firm
- Dalian Futures Market: PP, LLDPE, PVC, MEG
- Vietnam’s homo-PP market plunges to lowest since 2009