European PE market wraps up October with moderate gains
In Italy, converters report that their suppliers are already sold out and have closed their order books owing to low stock levels in the distribution market for this month. “We were informed that our suppliers have no material to offer for new orders,” a buyer noted. “Prices below €1300/ton have apparently faded this week, although we had purchased some LDPE at €1250-1270/ton at the start of October,” a packager lamented.
A distributor expressed higher sell ideas for November, saying, “We finished our LLDPE and LDPE allocations in early October. PE prices registered some upward momentum recently and we are mulling over applying some hikes next month.” Buyers are sidelined, he said, while supply is short.
A seller who issued €30/ton hikes compared to last week stated, “Our South European supplier has closed their order book. We heard about rollover possibilities for November.” A different distributor reported lifting his list prices by €50-80/ton from the beginning of October citing short HDPE injection and blow moulding supplies.
In Germany, most distributors claimed to have sold out their already limited October volumes since buying interest was healthy in the first days of the month.
However, November expectations are mixed as some players expect ethylene contracts to settle at largely stable levels for the approaching month. However, other players think that modest decreases are possible for the upcoming monomer contracts considering the recent losses in upstream markets. Spot ethylene prices softened at the beginning of this week after holding steady since late September and spot naphtha prices also moved lower to draw near the $400/ton CIF NWE threshold
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Asian PVC sees V-shaped recovery in Q2, what will Q3 bring?
- Will capacity additions cast cloud on ethylene upsurge in Asia?
- US PVC offers in Egypt rise steadily but resistance grows in tandem
- PE buyers’ resistance grows in SEA; duty-free origins more competitive than Mid-East
- Polymer demand cools in Turkey: Is price correction ahead for PP, PE and PVC?
- Local PP, PE markets in Indonesia, Thailand, and Philippines follow imports higher
- Taiwanese major’s July PVC pricing exceeds initial expectations
- China’s rising PET trend takes a pause, but longer-term outlook remains firm
- Dalian Futures Market: PP, LLDPE, PVC, MEG
- Vietnam’s homo-PP market plunges to lowest since 2009