Import HDPE prices trading at par with LDPE in China
Data from ChemOrbis Price Index shows that import LDPE film prices on a CFR China basis had been trading with an average premium of between $25-50/ton during the months of June and July, but that the two products have been trading more or less at par throughout the month of August, with LDPE even trading at a small discount to HDPE for the past two weeks. The premium for LDPE had been as high as $70-80/ton as recently as May.
A trader based in China commented, “Import LDPE prices are weakening due to the strong dollar as well as weaker upstream costs. We expect to see further reductions in LDPE prices in the days ahead as LDPE demand is relatively weaker than demand for other PE products.” Another trader offering Middle Eastern LDPE cargoes to China added, “Most of our customers are holding very low inventory levels these days given the uncertain direction of the market. Import demand in general is limited as many buyers prefer to source their needs from the local market given the recent devaluation of the yuan.”
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Asian PVC sees V-shaped recovery in Q2, what will Q3 bring?
- Will capacity additions cast cloud on ethylene upsurge in Asia?
- US PVC offers in Egypt rise steadily but resistance grows in tandem
- PE buyers’ resistance grows in SEA; duty-free origins more competitive than Mid-East
- Polymer demand cools in Turkey: Is price correction ahead for PP, PE and PVC?
- Local PP, PE markets in Indonesia, Thailand, and Philippines follow imports higher
- Taiwanese major’s July PVC pricing exceeds initial expectations
- China’s rising PET trend takes a pause, but longer-term outlook remains firm
- Dalian Futures Market: PP, LLDPE, PVC, MEG
- Vietnam’s homo-PP market plunges to lowest since 2009