Italy’s imports increase in Q1 2015, driven by tightness for PP, PE
On a product by product basis, Italy’s homo-PP imports edged down by around 2% year on year in the first quarter, but still suggest a gain of around 13% compared with the previous quarter. Germany was Italy’s top homo-PP supplier, with the country’s exports exceeding 50,000 tons in Q1, followed by France and Saudi Arabia. For PP copolymer, imports surged by over 20% year on year in the first quarter, with Belgium ranking as the top PP copolymer exporter to Italy with over 30,000 tons. When compared to the last quarter of 2014, imports are up by 17.2%.
Italy’s LDPE imports were also up by 6% year on year in the first quarter of 2015. The top three exporters, France, Belgium and the Netherlands, were unchanged. Imports of LDPE posted a larger gain of around 17% on a quarterly basis. Imports for LLDPE were up by 15.7% compared with the first quarter of 2014 and exceeded 60,000 tons. The top three LLDPE exporters to Italy were France, Belgium and Germany. LLDPE imports also edged up by 6% compared with the previous quarter.
Imports also rose by 6.6% year on year for HDPE. Germany remained the top HDPE supplier to Italy in the first quarter, followed by Saudi Arabia.
Despite the gains in imports of PP and PE, PVC imports remained unchanged on an annual basis at around 160,000 tons. When compared to the last quarter of 2014, however, PVC imports were up by 12.4%. The top exporter was France, accounting for over 40% of Italy’s overall PVC imports.
PS imports edged up around 4.4% year on year in the first quarter. France was the top PS supplier to Italy, followed by Germany. Compared to the previous quarter, PS imports rose by over 6%.
Italy’s PET bottle imports also climbed by 10% on an annual basis in the first quarter. South Korea was the top PET bottle supplier to Italy with over 25,000 tons, followed by Indonesia with around 16,000 tons.
France ranked as the top polymer exporter to Italy in the first quarter of 2015, accounting for around 19% of overall imports, followed by Germany and Belgium.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Asian PVC sees V-shaped recovery in Q2, what will Q3 bring?
- Will capacity additions cast cloud on ethylene upsurge in Asia?
- US PVC offers in Egypt rise steadily but resistance grows in tandem
- PE buyers’ resistance grows in SEA; duty-free origins more competitive than Mid-East
- Polymer demand cools in Turkey: Is price correction ahead for PP, PE and PVC?
- Local PP, PE markets in Indonesia, Thailand, and Philippines follow imports higher
- Taiwanese major’s July PVC pricing exceeds initial expectations
- China’s rising PET trend takes a pause, but longer-term outlook remains firm
- Dalian Futures Market: PP, LLDPE, PVC, MEG
- Vietnam’s homo-PP market plunges to lowest since 2009