Italy’s imports rise in H1 2015 on increased PP, PE shipments
Saudi Arabia boosted its market share in Italy’s polyolefins imports in the first half of this year, supported by supply issues in Europe which lasted from mid-February through June. In addition, healthy netbacks are seen attracting more Middle Eastern suppliers to Europe.
On a product by product basis, Italy’s homo-PP imports edged up by over 4% year on year in the first half to reach almost 500,000 tons. Germany retained its position as Italy’s top homo-PP supplier. France, Italy’s second largest homo-PP supplier in the first quarter of this year, was outpaced by Saudi Arabia during the first half. For PP copolymer, imports rose by around 16% year on year in the first half, with Belgium ranking as the top PP copolymer exporter to Italy with over 60,000 tons.
Italy’s LDPE imports inched up by 0.6% year on year in the first half of 2015 to exceed 285,000 tons. The top three exporters, France, Belgium and the Netherlands, were unchanged. Imports for LLDPE were up by almost 3% compared with the first half of 2014. The top three LLDPE exporters to Italy were Belgium, France and Saudi Arabia which outpaced Germany as Italy’s third largest LLDPE supplier.
Imports also rose by around 3% year on year for HDPE. Germany remained the top HDPE supplier to Italy in the January-June period, followed by Saudi Arabia.
Despite rising imports of PP and PE, PVC imports declined by around 2.6% compared to the first half of 2014. The top exporter was France, maintaining a market share of over 40% in Italy’s overall PVC imports.
PS imports also dropped around 11% year on year in the first half of the year to move below 90,000 tons. Germany and Belgium were the top PS suppliers to Italy.
For PET, Italy’s PET bottle grade imports declined by 4% on an annual basis in the first half of 2015. South Korea remained as the top PET bottle supplier to Italy, followed by Indonesia.
France ranked as the top polymer exporter to Italy in the first half of 2015, followed by Germany and Belgium.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Asian PVC sees V-shaped recovery in Q2, what will Q3 bring?
- Will capacity additions cast cloud on ethylene upsurge in Asia?
- US PVC offers in Egypt rise steadily but resistance grows in tandem
- PE buyers’ resistance grows in SEA; duty-free origins more competitive than Mid-East
- Polymer demand cools in Turkey: Is price correction ahead for PP, PE and PVC?
- Local PP, PE markets in Indonesia, Thailand, and Philippines follow imports higher
- Taiwanese major’s July PVC pricing exceeds initial expectations
- China’s rising PET trend takes a pause, but longer-term outlook remains firm
- Dalian Futures Market: PP, LLDPE, PVC, MEG
- Vietnam’s homo-PP market plunges to lowest since 2009