Players: HIPS users mull switch to ABS given narrowing price gap in Asia
According to data from ChemOrbis Price Index, the gap between import ABS and HIPS prices on a CFR China basis posted a decrease of around $283/ton compared to the beginning of March, when ABS prices carried the largest premium over HIPS recorded in the last year.
A source from a Taiwanese producer commented, “GPPS prices remained stable this week while HIPS prices witnessed some downward adjustments as they face pressure from import ABS prices, which continued to follow a softening trend.”
In Southeast Asia, a similar situation was observed. Data from ChemOrbis Price Index showed that the gap between import ABS and HIPS prices on a weekly average basis shrank by around $95-100/ton when compared to late September to stand at $50/ton last week. In January, import ABS prices were carrying a premium of around $395/ton over HIPS prices, according to ChemOrbis data.
A source from a Southeast Asian producer commented, “We are more willing to give discounts for HIPS than GPPS as the narrowing gap between ABS and HIPS is exerting pressure on our HIPS business.”
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Asian PVC sees V-shaped recovery in Q2, what will Q3 bring?
- Will capacity additions cast cloud on ethylene upsurge in Asia?
- US PVC offers in Egypt rise steadily but resistance grows in tandem
- PE buyers’ resistance grows in SEA; duty-free origins more competitive than Mid-East
- Polymer demand cools in Turkey: Is price correction ahead for PP, PE and PVC?
- Local PP, PE markets in Indonesia, Thailand, and Philippines follow imports higher
- Taiwanese major’s July PVC pricing exceeds initial expectations
- China’s rising PET trend takes a pause, but longer-term outlook remains firm
- Dalian Futures Market: PP, LLDPE, PVC, MEG
- Vietnam’s homo-PP market plunges to lowest since 2009