SE Asian PP buyers anticipate further discounts in January
Even though spot PP prices are down approximately 37.8% from the 2015 highs recorded in May, buyers who still anticipate decreases are bidding for discounts on deals as the year ends. “We find it hard to predict additional decreases for PP after prices have already seen such steep reductions over the past few months. However, buyers are showing little interest in our current offers and we may need to give some additional ground before concluding deals,” a distributor based in Thailand commented. A woven bag manufacturer in Indonesia reported receiving lower offers for domestic material on the week, commenting, “Our supplier lowered their prices in the face of steadily declining import costs and we believe that additional discounts might be available for buyers purchasing in large quantities. However, we feel that large declines are unlikely and that prices will reach the bottom soon.”
Another Indonesian converter reported receiving an offer for Saudi Arabian raffia with a reduction from the prior week. “We anticipate further decreases in January for both imported and domestic materials and we anticipate a $20-40/ton price cut from a domestic producer in the coming month. Local PP supplies are sufficient and this will pressure sellers to give discounts on their deals,” the buyer stated. A trader based in Vietnam said that they concluded some import deals for Saudi Arabian and Indian raffia in the last few days before the holidays. “A new coal-based PP plant has recently started up in China and we expect this to contribute to regional oversupply and lower prices. Many buyers are currently meeting their needs from the local market as we hear that a domestic producer has sufficient stock levels,” the trader stated.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Asian PVC sees V-shaped recovery in Q2, what will Q3 bring?
- Will capacity additions cast cloud on ethylene upsurge in Asia?
- US PVC offers in Egypt rise steadily but resistance grows in tandem
- PE buyers’ resistance grows in SEA; duty-free origins more competitive than Mid-East
- Polymer demand cools in Turkey: Is price correction ahead for PP, PE and PVC?
- Local PP, PE markets in Indonesia, Thailand, and Philippines follow imports higher
- Taiwanese major’s July PVC pricing exceeds initial expectations
- China’s rising PET trend takes a pause, but longer-term outlook remains firm
- Dalian Futures Market: PP, LLDPE, PVC, MEG
- Vietnam’s homo-PP market plunges to lowest since 2009