Traders in Egypt, Turkey: US PVC could firm up
A global trader based in Turkey said, “We have sold out our January quotas and we are now facing reduced output from our supplier. The lower levels heard in the market may disappear soon.”
A second trader in Istanbul also reported that they are trying to refrain from selling below a certain threshold given the recent indications from their US suppliers, who are asking for price increases in their domestic market.
Players in Egypt already reported some firming in import offers from the US this week following offers emerging at least $40/ton below Turkey last week. A global trader’s Cairo office reported lifting its offers up this week, saying “Supplies are restricted and holidays are expected to affect shipments in the upcoming weeks.” However, a company source also admitted being open to firm bids following the price hike.
A second trader in Egypt also affirmed the rebound in prices this week, saying last week’s competitive levels are vanishing, although he acknowledged that demand remains subdued. “Buyers are still placing lower bids but they are not approved by our suppliers,” commented another trader.
Buyers both in Turkey and Egypt, on the other hand, do not find any reversal attempt realistic these days. An Egyptian pipe maker said, “We do not think that these attempts to firm up PVC will work when demand is this slow at the year-end.”
Some profile and pipe makers in Turkey also do not see traders taking a firm stance. “The market is at multi-year lows. There may not be further decreases; however, any firming is not likely either, particularly when demand is absent and crude oil is at a 7-year-low,” commented a buyer.
The recent plunge in crude oil appears to have affected the sentiment among some sellers in Turkey too with a few of them raising concerns over the medium term expectations.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Asian PVC sees V-shaped recovery in Q2, what will Q3 bring?
- Will capacity additions cast cloud on ethylene upsurge in Asia?
- US PVC offers in Egypt rise steadily but resistance grows in tandem
- PE buyers’ resistance grows in SEA; duty-free origins more competitive than Mid-East
- Polymer demand cools in Turkey: Is price correction ahead for PP, PE and PVC?
- Local PP, PE markets in Indonesia, Thailand, and Philippines follow imports higher
- Taiwanese major’s July PVC pricing exceeds initial expectations
- China’s rising PET trend takes a pause, but longer-term outlook remains firm
- Dalian Futures Market: PP, LLDPE, PVC, MEG
- Vietnam’s homo-PP market plunges to lowest since 2009