Weak costs dominate January PVC expectations in Europe
Spot naphtha prices are still weak, remaining below $400/ton on a CIF NWE basis, as Brent crude futures fell to a 7 year low during intraday trading on December 14. Spot ethylene prices also lost ground following restarts at Shell’s Moerdijk, Netherlands and Wesseling, Germany crackers.
A West European producer is giving December PVC offers with rollovers to increases of €15/ton both in the spot and contract markets. A source from the producer reported, “Demand is not strong since buyers are keeping their stocks low towards the end of the year. For January, we had been anticipating some increases earlier in the month, but now we don’t exclude the possibility of decreases considering lower feedstock costs.”
A compounder in Italy bought West European PVC with rollovers from November and reported receiving some other offers with slight increases of €10/ton for the same origin. The buyer expects to see decreases in January considering the losses in the upstream markets.
Another compounder reported receiving December PVC offers with slight hikes of €10/ton from his West European supplier. “We haven’t contacted other suppliers since we will buy limited volumes this month as we don’t want to build stocks prior to the end of the year. For January, increases are unlikely as crude oil and naphtha prices are quite low,” the buyer commented.
Meanwhile, both buyers reported receiving import US PVC offers for January delivery at levels around €90-100/ton below the lowest European PVC prices in the local market.
A converter in France closed his December PVC contracts with rollovers from last month after receiving initial offers with increases of €15/ton. The buyer reported, “Our end product demand is weak in line with this period of the year. For January, sellers have no reason to ask for increases considering the current market conditions. An upward trend could only be possible in case of some unplanned shutdowns, otherwise the outlook is weak.”
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Asian PVC sees V-shaped recovery in Q2, what will Q3 bring?
- Will capacity additions cast cloud on ethylene upsurge in Asia?
- US PVC offers in Egypt rise steadily but resistance grows in tandem
- PE buyers’ resistance grows in SEA; duty-free origins more competitive than Mid-East
- Polymer demand cools in Turkey: Is price correction ahead for PP, PE and PVC?
- Local PP, PE markets in Indonesia, Thailand, and Philippines follow imports higher
- Taiwanese major’s July PVC pricing exceeds initial expectations
- China’s rising PET trend takes a pause, but longer-term outlook remains firm
- Dalian Futures Market: PP, LLDPE, PVC, MEG
- Vietnam’s homo-PP market plunges to lowest since 2009